The Hare Psychopathy Checklist-Revised Will Tell You If You're A Psychopath (Maybe)
The Hare Psychopathy Checklist-Revised is a tool used to professionally assess cases of psychopathy. This 20-point checklist has been described as "the single best predictor of violent behavior currently available."
Here's The Checklist
If you're itching to know whether someone you know (maybe, say, your ex-boyfriend?) is a psychopath, have we got the tool for you. The Hare Psychopathy Checklist-Revised was devised by Canadian psychologist Dr. Robert D. Hare in the 1970s. A disclaimer before you dive in: you cannot diagnose yourself or someone you know with psychopathy right here on Curiosity. (But that would be cool.) So just have fun with this, okay?
Here's how it goes, as gracefully summed up by Business Insider: "On each criterion, the subject is ranked on a 3-point scale: (0 = item does not apply, 1 = item applies somewhat, 2 = item definitely applies). The scores are summed to create a rank of zero to 40. Anyone who scores 30 and above is probably a psycho."
These are the 20 criteria:
- Do you exhibit glib and superficial charm?
- Do you have a grandiose (exaggeratedly high) estimation of self?
- Do you have a constant need for stimulation?
- Are you a pathological liar?
- Are you cunning and manipulative?
- Do you have lack of remorse or guilt?
- Do you have shallow affect (superficial emotional responsiveness)?
- Are you callous, and do you lack empathy?
- Do you have a parasitic lifestyle?
- Do you have poor behavioral controls?
- Are you sexually promiscuous?
- Did you display early behavior problems?
- Do you lack realistic long-term goals?
- Are you overly impulsive?
- Are you irresponsible?
- Do you fail to accept responsibility for own actions?
- Have you had many short-term marital relationships?
- Do you have a history of juvenile delinquency?
- Have you experienced a revocation of conditional release?
- Do you display criminal versatility?
Why It's Relevant
Sometimes you date a person for a whole dang year before realizing they meet all the criteria of a psychopath. But in all seriousness, it's important to be aware of the traits that describe psychopathic tendencies so you can look out for them. In a recent study, both Donald Trump and Hillary Clinton scored pretty high on psychopathy analyses. But...plot twist...that's not necessarily a bad thing for a leader. As for people who aren't politicians, it's important to realize that this checklist can do a lot of harm if not administered by the appropriate clinician and false results are reached. To be safe, just stay on your toes.
Editor's Picks: Everything You Need To Know About Psychopathy